Saturday, July 9, 2011

University of Glasgow and the Burrell Collection

As part of our couse requirement, we had to write a paper on an object, then we had to give a presentation of it to the class. They sent us to three different locations.....Gilbert Scott Building (University of Glasgow), The Glasgow Cathedral, and the Burrell Collection. My object was at the University. It was a lamp post just outside the building. Lucky for me (not), there was no information on it what-so-ever! So I am the first person to document this object and do research. It's sort of exciting because the university is keeping my research to add to their archives.

The University here is very beautiful! The main building is Gothic Revival designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott so it is called the Gilbert Scott building.
Here are some highlight photos of this building....




Here is my wonderful professor, Dr. Sally Rush. She is amazing! She got to meet the queen last Wednesday. She is doing serious academic research on Stirling castle and was invited to meet and have lunch with the queen!

Like I mentioned above, my object was a light fitting beside the university's main building. Here is a photo of my object. It is very unique and I was able to discover a lot of interesting features about it. One being that top and bottom motifs are the same as the design of the Scottish crown.

The Burrell Collection is a wonderful collection of art given to the city of Glasgow in 1944 by Sir William Burrell. Burrell was a wealthy shipowner with a passion for collecting art. Burrell has also bought a large portion of William Randolph Heart's collection of medieval objects.
Here are some highlights from this collection.
To see more of my photos go to...
https://picasaweb.google.com/cantrell.stacy/GilbertScottBuilding
https://picasaweb.google.com/cantrell.stacy/BurrellCollection

No comments:

Post a Comment