Sunday, July 17, 2011

Art Nouveau walking tour and a great start for class #2!

Hello all,

My second class is going great! My teacher and guest lecturers are inspiring and the group of girls in this class are wonderful and I've even made some wonderful new friends!!

It's been here three weeks now. Only one week to go! Although I'm enjoying Scotland, I will not miss my accommodations! I'm a little old to be living in a dormitory. Ugh!!

But here are some pics of my dorm room. This dorm rooms comes with positives and negatives....My neighbors downstairs are noisy partiers! I've had an issue with them since I arrived. I love the bay window in my room, however....in Glasgow during the summer, the sun rises around 5AM and sets around 10PM! So that's about 17 hours of daylight. Can be a little difficult to get a good nights sleep when there isn't much darkness.

It's a double room, but I have no roommate.


My front door with grocery bags.

Love my bay windows! They have giant windows that open up and let nice fresh air in.
Not really liking the curtain print....lol!

Another interesting thing I saw here was on my 'google' webpage. You know how when it is a holiday or a special occasion, google will modify their logo to accomodate? Well, they do it here in the UK as well. It just so happens that the UK was celebrating the 200th birthday of the person (Sir George Gilbert Scott) that I am writing my paper on for my last class, 'Gothic Revival'. I thought it was cool so I had to document it.
Check it out! Great timing.


Here are some pics of my Glasgow walking tour, and they have a subway system. It is called the 'underground'. It the reference books, they call it 'clockwork orange' because it basically goes in a circle around the city, and it is orange, but the locals never call it that. Anyways, I had to take a photo of it because it is soooo petite compared to US subways. It's like riding a toy train!


Getting ready to do a walking tour of Glasgow to discover Art Nouveau buildings were some of the ladies in my class. The woman who is third from the right is our much loved teacher Dr. George, and the blonde lady on the left is my new wonderful friend Pamela. I think we are kindred spirits! :) This group is a great bunch of ladies.


For this class, we did a walking tour of downtown Glasgow to view Art Nouveau style buildings. Glasgow contains a lot of Victorian buildings designed architecture around the turn of the 20th century. This architects and designers include Charles Rennie Mackintosh, James Miller, and many stained glass artists, carvers, etc.
Here are some of the highlights from this tour....

This building has a tower that looks out on all of Glasgow.

Tower stairs that go up.....Ugh!

To the wonderful view of downtown Glasgow from the top...

Tower stairs coming down.....Say cheese everyone!

We discovered the cutest signs for the restroom! Had to photograph them.
Gotta love their sense of humor.

House built by Mackintosh

Huge building built in 1893

Love this building

Me sitting in a Mackintosh designed chair.

I also had to throw this beauty in.....The UK's version of the 'Dollar Store'. :-)

To view all my walking tour photos go to.....
https://picasaweb.google.com/cantrell.stacy/ArtNouveauWalkingTour

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment