Sunday, June 26, 2011

I'm Here and Finally Settled In!

Hi all!

Sorry for the delay in posting. I forgot to pack an ethernet cable. I don't have wireless in my room.
I arrived here around 7:30AM and left the airport around 8:30AM. Got to my room around 9. Unpacked
and went to bed! :)

My flight was nice. I sat next to two teenage boys from Omaha, Nebraska on the plane. "small world". They were all on a family vacation. They were very entertaining. It was like sitting next to two Zains.  :)

I went out and about for about three hours and bought some groceries, an ethernet cable and other supplies. Glasgow is very pretty. It is cooler and rainy here but I am not as cold as I thought I would be. You do a lot of walking here. The temperature runs about 60-65 during the day.

I had dinner at a wonderful little Persian place. Very authentic. Will definitely be eating there again!

Tomorrow my class start. I have class from 10AM-5PM everyday of course with breaks and lunch.
My first two week class is "Gothic Revival". Very much looking forward to it.

My room is a typical dorm room with two twin beds, two desks, and two closets. I have the room all to myself. I also have a sink in my room. There are community bathrooms but one is right across the hall from me. Each of our rooms has these amazing giant bay windows that extend across the entire from of the room. They are nice. The buildings are 19th century but at least the furniture is modern.

I posted some pics of what it looks like outside my room window. It is very green of course. The buildings across the way look exactly like my building.

Notes on Scottish dialect learned so far......
If something is wet from rain like the floor, they call it - slippie
Potato chips are called - crisps
If you are a native from Glasgow you are called a Glaswegian


Thanks for reading!
If anyone has issues posting a comment, send me an email at cantrell.stacy@gmail.com



This is a picture of down the street from my window. It's not the greatest picture, but gives you an idea of what it looks like.



This is the building directly across the street. Is looks exactly like my building....I think.  ;)




This is a view from down the other side of the street. Streets are wet but everything is wonderful green!

4 comments:

  1. I'm trying one more time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm going to try again. Don't know what I did different but it finally took. Now the problem is to try and remember what I did do. The pics are great and look forward to seeing more when you have time. I hope classes are interesting, that is a long time in class. Is there a place to eat that is on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes there are cafeterias for lunch. They also serve us complimentary coffee and snacks at 11PM everyday. Then lunch here is at 1PM instead of noon.

    Both of your posts are on here. :)

    Talk to you soon. Going to bed now. It is midnight here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy,
    I'm so proud of you for taking on these classes in a foreign land. I'm sure you're going to have a thrilling time. We love you and we (Zain and I) miss you already.
    Lou Lou

    ReplyDelete